A Political Rant!
Suppose for a moment that you are a leader of a political party which has experienced humiliating defeats in the previous two national elections and the opposition party has huge majorities in the Congress and a chief executive elected by a large margin.
Suppose also that someone came to you and proposed the following strategy designed to achieve major gains in the next election:
- Unanimously oppose every legislative initiative of the majority party, regardless of its desirability or necessity; and regardless of the fact that you may be in favor of it, or even had previously proposed it.
- Impugn the motivation of the majority party in all of its proposals, portraying the party in power as socialistic, communistic, fascist, dictatorial, unpatriotic and uninterested in the wishes of the people.
- Claim that the party in power is unwilling to negotiate while, at the same time do not compromise on any issue.
- Make up lies about the effects of proposed legislation, the more outrageous the better – and repeat it ad nauseum, even when the lies are exposed.
- Use innuendo to suggest things that can not be expressed openly about the leaders of the majority party; things that feed on peoples’ fears and prejudices – hoping to be called on it, so you can express your righteous indignation that anyone could suggest you were so motivated – therefore you are the victim of the very same thing you hinted at.
- At every opportunity proclaim your earnest desire to reclaim your country, charging that the majority party aims to destroy everything that made the nation great, take away the rights of true citizens and turn power and wealth over to “THEM”.
I would have thought that anyone suggesting this was out of his mind – that it could only lead to even greater losses. I would have been very, very wrong!
Following the above strategy exactly the Republican Party accomplished one of the greatest political recoveries in the history of the nation, demonstrating quite effectively that negativity is the most effective political strategy
Groucho Marx, in this video from one of his movies in the 1930, beautifully expresses the Republican position of the past two years.