It’s All Wilma’s Fault – 2

Once I finally decided that I had to do something I went to the Internet and researched shoreline restoration methods.  Basically, other than installing a concrete seawall, there were two main ways to do it, and as it later turned out I selected the wrong one.

First, there was rip wrap – piling up rocks, stones or other materials against the shore and filling in behind with soil and sod.  Second, was to lay an Erosion Barrier Bag filled with sand and covered with soil and sod.  I foolishly chose the latter for aesthetic reasons.  I saw before and after photos of  this method and was impressed.

Incidentally, this is what my shoreline looked like in December of 2008.   At that time South Florida was in the midst of a prolonged drought.  The water level in the lake had never before dropped so low.  Almost all of the rocks that can be seen had been uncovered by the erosion – so you can see how much shoreline I had already lost.  Add to this the fact that there was basically nothing beneath the grass close to the shore, and it was obvious that I had a big problem in need of fairly  immediate attention.  In the photo it appears that the lake is shallow, but actually, about five yards from shore it drops off precipitously.  The lake is really quite deep.

I found a local company that did the that kind of work, mainly large contracts at apartment or condo complexes and golf courses.  Their estimate was a little over $6,500, to be adjusted based on the cost of sand and sod at the time of the job.  But they were so busy at the time that they couldn’t do the job until March 2009.  The cost was less than I had thought it would be, and I figured it wasn’t going to get too much worse in 2 1/2 months, so I contracted for them to do the work.

I noticed that their estimate did not include the cost to obtain a permit from the city and asked if they expected me to obtain it.  I was told that a permit would not be required.

However, knowing how picky and nasty our fair city is about anything and everything I wasn’t totally convinced.  I decided it would be wise to check with the city to make sure.  I did not want to have to pay some outrageous fine for violating city rules.  So that very day I called the appropriate city department and explained in detail what I intended to have done.  I was advised that the contractor was correct – no permit would be required.  I wrote down the date and the person’s name for future reference if there ever would be a question.

Finally, early on Tuesday morning, March 3, 2009 the job began.  First was the delivery of the Bobcat.

Then the workers began to break up the rocks with sledges and cutting back the shore in a straight line so they would have a level surface wide enough to lay the erosion bag.

While the rock crushing was going on the first load of sand arrived.

Then the 2nd

Meanwhile, with the rocks crushed other equipment set up and the empty bag laid out

Now they were set up for filling the bag – the job for Wednesday

Horror story to be continued in the next post – with lots more photos.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Picture Post, Reminiscences

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s